Despite
the court injunction restraining it from embarking on its proposed
strike, the Nigerian Labour Congress is adamant on its planned move.
The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC and the Trade Union Congress,TUC
have resolved to proceed to mobilise workers to begin indefinite strike,
tomorrow, Wednesday over fuel hike.
The workers’ action, according to Vanguard, is to take effect from 12 midnight today.
This was the resolution of the union at its National Executive
Council, NEC meeting, held today at the NLC headquarters in Abuja.
Although, newsmen, who waited anxiously to be briefed of the
development at the meeting, were left unattended to, a source revealed
that the workers’ unions resolved to proceed on an indefinite strike,
beginning from 12 midnight.
The source said the unions took the decision to mobilise workers on
strike, after exhaustive deliberations on last week’s fuel hike by the
federal government and the attendant consequences on the Nigerian
workers and the general public.
“Our decision not to suspend the strike was further fuelled by
today’s injunction by the Industrial Court,restraining us from
proceeding on the strike expected to begin tomorrow,” the source who said.
He disclosed that the two bodies were still studying development
and may not honour the meeting expected with the government at the
office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation this
evening.
Vanguard reports that the factional NLC, led by the General
Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees, Joe Ajaero,
may not join the strike. He had hinted yesterday that his leadership was
not favourably disposed to embarking on the strike.
As at the time of filing this report, the leadership of the NLC and
the TUC were yet to turn up for continuation of the meeting which was
adjourned earlier.
0 comments:
Post a Comment